CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, December 7, 2008

Grateful for the Season

We had a really amazing Thanksgiving. I know that Thanksgiving has passed, but I didn't write anything about it so now I will. We had our first Thanksgiving with out extended family this year. We hosted at our house and invited two other families from our ward to come. I baked three pies, two pumpkin & one apple cranberry, the night before. The day of we got the turkey ready, made stuffing from scratch, cut/peeled/boiled/mashed nearly 10 lbs of mashed potatoes (most of which were not consumed), open two cans of corn, and made gravy from the turkey drippings. We managed only to run one hour behind schedule, which is pretty amazing considering Cameron was not happy with the lack of attention he was getting. the two other families brought several side dishes and deserts each and the was so much good food it was very hard to choose what to eat. One of the families we invited are vegetarian. It was funny because when I invited them they said they would love to join us so long as we wouldn't be offended if they brought tofurkey. I responded that I would be at all offended so long as they wouldn't be offended if I didn't try any. Cameron however, when he saw it sliced up thought that it looked like a cookie and wanted to try some. I really wish that I had a camera in my hand to capture the face he pulled when he realized that the little tastes I gave him was not a cookie. After we ate we talked at let our stomachs digest and settle our food a little before we attempted desserts. We had lots to choose from and they were all delicious. We feel so blessed to have been able to spend such a wonderful Thanksgiving with such great people.
We are greatly looking forward to Christmas and have already started to do somethings in preparations for all the festivities that come with the holiday that celebrates our Savior's birth. After going on a vocal music hiatus of almost a year and a half (choirs meeting times didn't work with our family schedule for a while) I have come back with a bang. I was going to sing at the ward Christmas social, but was at the tail end of a cold and bypassed that. However, Wednesday I am singing at our Christmas enrichment, Sunday I am singing two solo's and with the choir in the musical Christmas sacrament program in the morning and in the stake choir at our stake Christmas Music concert. I have been so grateful for these opportunities, music means so much to me and it truly has been spiritually uplifting for me to practise and rehearse and prepare for these performances. I think that I will be sad when they are done and the next big music thing won't be until Easter; which I may or may not be able to participate in depending on when peanut feels like joining our family. We hope you all have a merry Christmas and remember why this holiday is so special. Take the time to put Christ into your Christmas celebrations. His birth is celebrated because He lived His life & gave His life for us. I know that Christ is my Savior and yours and am so grateful for all that he did and continues to do for me and my family.

1 comments:

Ironygirl said...

Hey Sophia, this is Jenny, Brian's cousin on the Trimble side. I came across your blog and have enjoyed reading it. I liked what you said here about music. I feel the same way. I love choir, and this past year I started teaching piano, which is just wonderful. I missed doing it as much so this has been a great thing for me.

I wish I could have met you at the reunion, but I hope all is well and that your baby is doing great.

PS I have a blog also, if you are interested, but please don't feel obligated. I shouldn't spend as much time as I do reading the many blogs I do, but it's fun for me!